Friday, April 29, 2011

The Lost Art of the Love Letter

























In the midst of the Royal Wedding Bliss and all the nostalgia surrounding the royal couple, it seems only fitting to share this lovely piece of penmanship that reminds us of what declaring your love for someone really meant.

The current age of the social networking generation has everyone messaging, texting, poking and updating in 140 characters or less. It seems that with all the high tech gizmos and gadgets we may have lost the fine art of penning a Love Letter and the raw emotions and feelings behind them.

I have a dear friend who allowed me the privilege of looking through some of her old cards and letters and we came across this lovely little note that has very evidently been treasured by its receiver "Miss Rebecca".

It reads as follows:


November 4th, 1856

Dear Miss Rebecca

I take the liberty of sending you these few lines to let you know my intentions. I have Admired your fine looks and genteel person you are the only one that I admire. All I ask is to share your love with me, but perhaps you are engaged with some other young man but if you are you will be kind enough to let me know and if not perhaps we may have the pleasure of meeting shortly. If you allow me to call to see you please send me an Answer as soon as you can.

No more at present but remain your sincere Lover

James Lynch


With just a few lines and well chosen words James has declared his love and intentions for Miss Rebecca. Quite simply this is one of the most beautiful notes I have ever read. I know that all though its a bit old fashioned, I don't know a single lady who would not swoon at such words.

Krista Lawless

No comments:

Post a Comment